Planting grass seed is a method to grow anywhere grass for expanding the lawn into new areas and maximizing the green space around your residential or commercial property. Grass seeds are used to improve your current lawn condition if it looks a little dirty or to restart the lawn care completely.
Homeowners often feel troubled figuring out to select the best grass seed which is pet and child-friendly. Wrong grass seed has adverse effects on the grass, and it results in a poor establishment. Hence, it is essential to use good quality pet and child-friendly grass seeds for greener lawn, organic, lush, and soft grass feeling on the pet’s paws and feet throughout the year.
Benefits of Using Pet & Child-friendly Grass Seed
- For sure, your kids and pets love to play around in the garden. In such a case, if your pets sniff or take a bite of toxin and chemical-based grass, it would be harmful to their health. Hence, ensure your kids’ and pets’ safety initiate using pet and child-friendly grass seeds.
- With such grass seed, you’ll easily grow grass anywhere and prevent pets and kids from coming into contact with the harmful turf or grass bed.
- Such pet or child-friendly grass is also ideal for sunny and shady areas. The grass will be thick and have a great green color throughout the year.
- The pet and child-friendly grass seeds make the grass bed tolerant and adapt well to different climatic conditions. Such grass seeds don’t require a lot of maintenance, and most importantly, the garden will look amazing even without frequent watering.
- Last but not least, using these grass seeds allow you to grow anywhere grass that is disease, insects, and weed-free.
Steps to Planting Pet and Child-friendly Grass Seed
Seeding a lawn with per and kid-friendly grass seed is not difficult and will be done successfully in five simple steps.
1. Buy a good quality grass seed
A great lawn will only be grown from great grass seeds. Thus, if you want the yard to look unique and healthy for kids and pets to play with, buy an organic pet and child-friendly grass seed. Such grass seeds are specifically for superior green grass(even in winters), insects and disease resistance, and drought tolerance.
2. Prepare the Soil
Soil preparation is divided into two parts.
A – For planting new lawns
- Use an aerator that punches the hole to bring air and water into the roots and lessens the compaction of the soil.
Scientific evidence suggests that aeration and cutting tall with a sharp blade make a measurable difference in a garden’s health, quality, and look in the long run. Also, an aerated lawn always favors grass with fewer weeds.
- Remove the debris like stones, sticks, etc., from the area.
- Level the area where the chances are higher for water conservation.
- Avoid using weed killers before planting the seeds.
- If you are arranging for a new lawn, make sure to water it every day ( only if it is not raining). Never water the lawn after five p.m. to avoid any fungal diseases.
B – For over seeding an existing lawn
- Cut the lawn as low as possible to one inch or less. While cutting the lawn, make sure to use a dull blade to kill off the existing growth.
- Apply organic weed killer. You can spray phydura, an all-natural grass killer, on the existing lawn.
- Soil testing is vital to find the amount of lime present to bring back into the six or seven pH range. A neutral pH range will encourage grass growth and discourage weed growth.
- For over seeding, spread the essential organic starter fertilizer and seed activator, like kick-start, for quick germination and establishment of grass seed.
3. Plant Grass Seed
Spread the seeds evenly by hand or with some seeding tools. Apply seeds appropriately as per area requirement. Too many seeds closer together cause seedlings to fight for room and nutrients and make the grass weaker or thinner.
4. Cover the seeds
Slightly drag the grass seedbed, and no more than ¼ inch of soil covers the grass seed.
Cover the grass seedbed to hold seeds in place and retain moisture.
Those mentioned above are a few points that will make you grow a beautiful garden area with organic pet and child-friendly grass seeds. Hence, if you plan for a lush garden area, implement these simple steps and get the most amazing benefits.